One of the best ways to end a day in school or at work is to have a good meal. And one favorite of many Filipinos is beef pares, which are cubed beef briskets that are cooked with spices and tenderized. The aroma of this dish, together with a cup of hot rice and soup, is an irresistible combination.
But did you know that you can also make the perfect beef pares from the comfort of your own home? In an episode of Beyond the Plate on Plus Network, celebrity chef Alyana Asistio shared a recipe to make this beloved Filipino dish at home to share with your family. To make the perfect beef pares, you need to prepare beef brisket, star anise, onion, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, cooking oil, ginger, flour, onion leeks, salt, and pepper.
– Before making the perfect beef pares, it’s important to defrost and cut the beef into cubes. Then, place cooking oil in a pan before adding minced onion. These ingredients will add and enhance the flavor of the beef pares.
– Afterward, you need to add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the ingredients. Once you’ve added the ginger, garlic, and onion, it’s time to add the star anise, one of the key ingredients in the beef pares which will give the dish its sweet, flavorful taste.
– You also need to set aside the cornstarch slurry, which will be added later to the other ingredients. It is a combination of cornstarch and water and is a thickening agent which will make up the sauce of the beef pares. When making the starch, make sure that you don’t use hot water.
– Then, you will add the brown sugar and the beef stock that you used when defrosting the meat. While mixing these ingredients, you can then add the slow-cooked beef and add it to the pan.
– While the beef simmers with the other ingredients, you can try to taste it. You can add salt and black pepper to adjust its taste before adding the soy sauce, which is important to enhance its taste and color.
– After mixing the cornstarch slurry, add it to the beef and the other ingredients. Adjust the amount of slurry based on the thickness of the sauce of the beef pares that you want to achieve. Then, add the spring onions. Afterward, serve the beef pares with rice to make a perfect pairing.
The beef pares is a favorite among Filipinos, and its combination of tenderized beef, sweet sauce, and hot rice proves to be a perfect pairing. And by following these simple steps, you can make your own perfect beef pares at home to serve to your family!