After enduring the intense heat and warm breeze of the summer months, the rainy season has arrived, and with its gray skies and the familiar cold weather that will make most people want to stay indoors. But aside from an umbrella, jacket, and a pair of boots or slippers, there are other essentials that people need to have during the rainy season.
If there are certain food and drinks that are perfect for rainy days, then there are also songs that go well with the gloomy weather. Whether it’s about a love lost or reminiscing about past memories, here are some classic and new tracks that are perfect for the rainy season and should be included in any rainy day playlist:
1. “Rhythm of the Rain” by The Cascades – You can’t go wrong with a classic, and this 1962 song by The Cascades is exactly that. Even though the song is actually about a man lamenting a lover that has left him and asking the rain for answers, its infectious melody has made it a memorable rainy day song and one of the band’s most popular hits.
2. “Skinny Love” by Bon Iver – This 2008 song from Bon Iver’s album For Emma, Forever Ago may not necessarily be about the rain, but it is sure to put listeners in a mellow mood that is perfect for the weather. This folk-inspired acoustic song is about lovers in a flawed relationship that is sure to bring out strong emotions – which is just right for a rainy day spent indoors.
3. “Rainbow” by Kacey Musgraves – If the gloomy weather gets you down, this is a song that can put you in a better mood, just like the promise of rainbows after the rain. Released in 2018, this soulful Kacey Musgraves song is not just about love, but also about her growth that gives a peaceful vibe that also goes well with the sound of raindrops and gray skies.
4. “The Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel – A song that begins with the iconic line, “Hello darkness, my old friend” is no doubt perfect for any rainy day playlist. This 1965 ballad by Simon & Garfunkel went on to become a legendary song and was featured memorably in the film The Graduate. The lyrics, which also mention the rain, are about the difficulties of communicating one’s emotions and will be sure to put anyone in a cold, contemplative mood.
5. “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5 – Most songs that mention the rain usually feature somber lyrics, but this 2004 song by Maroon 5 is a breath of fresh air. Though it makes references to the darkness that we experience in life, having our loved ones in our life and being with them will make it all bearable, and sometimes, that’s exactly what we need.
6. ”Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want” by The Smiths – This classic song by The Smiths is about the battles that we face and the personal storms that we go through, but it also offers optimism through a mesmerizing guitar melody and lyrics that are both desperate and hoping for a better future. If you are also going through some storms in your life, this is the perfect song to add to your playlist.
7. “Visions of Gideon” by Sufjan Stevens – There’s something about the sound of raindrops and overcast skies that amplifies sadness, and this Sufjan Stevens song is the perfect music to accompany those feelings. This heart-wrenching track was used for the ending of the 2017 film Call Me By Your Name, cementing its place as a classic song for gloomy, rainy weather.
8. ”Singin’ in the Rain” by Gene Kelly – A list that starts with a classic should also end with another classic, and this Gene Kelly song is one of the most well-known. The rainy day oftentimes gives feelings of gloom and puts most people in a mellow mood. But it can also give “a glorious feeling” and make us sing and dance like Kelly in this song and in the classic musical film of the same name, where he memorably danced around light posts and puddles. This old hit is sure to battle the blues of any rainy day!
For more stories about the family, follow FamilyWise Asia on Facebook, and Instagram, or visit the FamilyWise Asia website at www.familywiseasia.com